Since I started building DIY CNC, I checked the free, opensource motor controller. There are several alternatives. I chose linisteppr controller.
- – Simple and cheap (my first priority 🙂 ) and I can source required parts locally
- – microstepping, open design (Especially, it’s PIC16F628A based. I’m PIC guy and a lot 16F628A in my stock)
Build log is fast, simple and straight. I used a simple perfboard for faster development.
After building the driver, I tested it with my buspirate using PWM function for generating stepping pulse. I started with 1kHz and increased to 4 kHz.
- – Buspitrate GND and AUX pin were connected to driver STEP and GND pins
- – For full step, motor was stalled at 1 kHz
- – The motor is smoothly run at 1 kHz at half step and 6th microstepping
- – The motor running faster and smoother at 4kHz for 16th microstepping
- Need bigger heatsink or small fan, sa mention in linistepper page,it is hot a lot
The next part is the CNC controller and software.